Spring-Easter Tactile Number Tiles DIY for preschoolers and kindergartners to reinforce rational counting and one to one correspondence.
These recyclable Spring-Easter inspired tactile number tiles are a fun way to stimulate tactile senses while practicing rational counting and numeral to quantity association. Besides, these tiles are very easy to make from recycled cardboard, and you can use loose items you already have. Most importantly, children will be stimulating tactile and visual senses while practicing number recognition and one-to-one correspondence.
You’ll Need for Spring-Easter Tactile Number Tiles
First, cut out the cardboard tiles, measuring about 3 inches wide and 4 inches tall. Then, with a marker, draw a horizontal line and write three numbers in squares. Finally, hot glue the corresponding quantity of one of the tree numbers. Invite a child to choose a tile and count each manipulative aloud while touching it. Confirm the cardinal number and peg it, selecting the matching one from the three numbers written on a tile.
Pipe Cleaner Carrots Craft
To make pipe cleaner carrots,
- Twist one end of an orange or yellow pipe cleaner, making a small hook. (We want to hide a poky end.)
- Then, place that twisted end on a paint brush (choose something with a point or a conical shape) and hold it down with your left thumb.
- While holding one end with the left hand, with the right hand, wrap the other end of a pipe cleaner around the paintbrush seven times.
- Remove the pipe cleaner from a paintbrush and hide the other end inside the spiral.
- Coil the starter-end more tightly after you take it off of the paintbrush.
- Shape it to look like a carrot.
To make carrot tops,
- To make carrot tops, cut one piece of green pipe cleaner four inches long.
- Fold the pipe cleaner, making two bunny ears about one inch tall.
- Insert the carrot tops into the top of the carrot. If desired, use hot glue to secure them in place.
Pipe Cleaner Bunny Craft
- Tightly wrap a 12″ pipe cleaner around a cylindrical object like a pen, marker, or finger.
- Fold a second pipe cleaner in half and then bend back each side into a letter M (which will be the bunny ears).
- Insert the letter M pipe cleaner through the coil (bunny’s body)
- Fold over the bottoms of the letter M into little bunny feet. Adjust the feet until a bunny stands upright.
- Spread over the bunny’s ears and hot glue a pom pom as a bunny’s nose and a tail.
- Attach googly eyes.
Spring-Easter Tactile Number Tiles
Skills At Play with Tactile Number Tiles:
- hand-eye coordination
- fine motor control
- spatial awareness
- one-to-one correspondence
- numeral to quantity association
One To Once Correspondence
With preschoolers, the goal is One to One correspondence ~which is the ability to match an object to the corresponding number and recognize that a number is merely a symbol representing that quantity. Young children often learn “rote counting” without understanding One to ONe correspondence. They learn to count till ten, just like a heart-learned poem! So, have them TOUCH and COUNT ALOUD each object as they match the peg to its corresponding numeral.
With kindergarten-age children, the goal is subitizing ~ which is the ability to instantly recognize, without counting, the number of objects present in a small group. So have them GUESS the amount of objects without actually counting! With practice, children will be able to visualize the number arrangements in their minds, thus aiding them in developing addition & subtraction mental math strategies.
Have you ever made Spring-Easter Tactile Number Tiles? Leave a comment if you did!
RECENT BLOG POSTS
Digestive System magnetic apple feeding DIY kids activity for preschoolers and kindergarteners to learn how food passes through different organs of the human body.
DIY Montessori Language Cabinet holds tiny 3D miniature objects that represent the beginning sound for each letter of the alphabet to promote early literacy and phonemic awareness.
Conscious Parenting embraces that children are not vessels to be molded but are sovereign spirits with untapped potentials to be unfolded.
eBOOK | THE BASICS Bringing Montessori Home
“Our work is not to teach, but to HELP the absorbent mind in its work of development. How marvelous it would be if by our help, if by an intelligent treatment of the child, if by understanding the needs of his physical life and by feeding his intellect, we could prolong the period of functioning of the absorbent mind!”
Montessori MADE EASY MEMBERSHIP
Also, in case you are exhausted from swimming in the vast ocean of irrelevant information and saving activities you never get to! JOIN Montessori MADE-EASY membership! And if you do, the eBook THE BASICS is included in the membership amongst MANY other perks!
I am here to help! WE CAN DO THIS TOGETHER!