Pretend nail salon is a fun and easy to set up kids activity with a free printable to practice applying nail polish while advancing fine motor control.
Free painting nails printable is an amazing way to play kids pretend nail salon while exercising the small muscles of the hands. Besides, the set up is minimal since you will be using items from your bathroom vanity, in addition to the template. Most importantly, your child will have a blast imitating Mommy while safely applying various color polishes onto the template.
WHAT you’ll need for this Nail Salon Kids Activity:
- a printable (download your Nail Polishing Activity PDF HERE. I made it by tracing my hands and drawing nails on each finger.)
- nail polish or dry erase markers
- cotton balls or pads (buy organic ones here)
- nail polish remover (for a non-toxic version, see Ella+Mila which is a soy nail polish remover with essential oils and vitamins. Also, Karma Organic soybean lavender nail polish remover is nontoxic vegan and cruelty-free.
- sheet protectors or laminating sheets
HOW to present this invitation to play pretend nail salon:
First, please download the PDF HERE, print it, and laminate the entire page. Then, offer your child either nail polish or markers and invite to color the nails while staying within the outline lines. If you have ever painted your own nails, you would know how hard it is! Julia kept saying: “Mommy, my hands are shaking!” Yes, hooray to advancing fine motor control through play. Most importantly, with a laminated template, your child can do this activity over and over again, while learning the real-life skills such as removing the nail polish!
Some Non-t0xic Nail Polish Options:
- I personally love ZOYA brand! In addition to being non-toxic, it looks awesome on your nails and it lasts! It is an amazing 10-FREE formula: free of Formaldehyde, Formaldehyde Resin, Dibutl, Toluene, Camphor, TPHP, Parabens, Lead and more.
- If you are looking for an organic version, Karma Organic seems very good, although I have not tried it. It is organic non-toxic, vegan and cruelty-free nail paint.
A TIP: you could laminate the PDF (I am using these laminating sheets) or simply insert printed paper in a sheet protector. Or, if you do not have a laminating machine, use laminating sheets, insert the PDF inside and use the iron to seal it!
SKILLS Yout Child is Practicing during this Nail Salon Kids Activity:
♡ FINE MOTOR CONTROL ~ when children practice small muscle hand control by painting, writing, drawing, tonging, pinching, transferring, threading, etc, they develop the strength, dexterity, and control needed to manipulate many everyday items such as a pencil, spoon, button, scissors, zippers, and more … “He does it with his hands, by experience, first in play and then through work. The hands are the instruments of man’s intelligence.” ~ Dr. Maria Montessori. The Absorbent Mind.
♡ DEXTERITY ~perfecting skills and ease in using their hands. When painting nails, a child must be very precise to stay within the “nail” lines, thus developing dexterity and concentration.
♡ HAND-EYE coordination ~ the ability to coordinate the information received through the eyes to control, guide, and direct the hands in the accomplishment of a given task. Here, the child perceives the outlines of the nails and sends signals to the brain to paint exactly within the lines.
I hope you enjoyed this kids-pretend nail salon. Please, leave a comment if you gave it a try!
Please, always supervise your children.