St Patrick’s Day-inspired Montessori counting cards are a fun hands-on way to explore numeracy, advance fine motor control and improve hand-eye coordination in preschoolers and kindergartners.
There is no better way to learn than through hands-on exploration and manipulation of materials! Besides, utilizing different tools, even if with the same printable, adds novelty and sparks a new interest! You can apply techniques used with St Patrick’s Montessori Counting Cards to any count-and-clip cards or activities! And remember to allow little people to engage in kinesthetic learning by doing! Hands-on learning is the common name for ‘Experiential Learning’ ~ the philosophical term behind the method of immersing oneself in a process in order to learn it. Experiential Learning has been around since 350 BCE, when Aristotle wrote, “for the things we have to learn before we can do them, we learn by doing them”. Most importantly, hands-on learning is uniquely positioned to support or elevate ANY type of learner! Best of all, research has proven that children who learn using hands-on methods with manipulatives outperform those who are not. What are manipulatives? They are physical tools engaging children visually and physically! The use of manipulatives is constructive because little people are actively engaged in discovery by dotting, finger-painting, transferring, touching, and manipulating during the learning process.
All of the activities are part of St Patrick’s Montessori Kids Activity pack! Check out below!
St Patrick’s Montessori Counting Cards
What the hand does, the mind remembers!Dr. Montessori
So offer little hands to dot, clip, finger paint, manipulate and count! Children learn BEST when they are involved in what they are doing!
- PAGE 22-25: [AGE 2 Y+] Montessori 1-12 COUNTING CARDS ~ Invite a child to use clothespins, a stamp, dry-erase marker or a finger dipped in paint to mark the correct number among the (3) listed. The total number of objects counted ~ a cardinal number ~ represents the corresponding quantity of objects pictured. (With children age 2 YR + start with cards one through three ONLY! Then slowly add cards as a child masters numeral to quantity association.)
- PAGE 26: Common Core State Standards
- PAGE 27: One-To-One Correspondence ~ ROTE vs RATIONAL counting
- PAGE 28: [AGE 2 Y+] DOT THE CLOVER | NUMERACY ~ Use dot markers, finger paint or pom pom dabbed in the paint to count and dot each clover. (We are using THESE paints.) INVITE YOUR CHILD TO TOUCH EACH as s/he COUNTS ALOUD, which connects counting to cardinality.
These St Patrick’s Montessori Counting Cards are amazing to practice numeral to quantity association, number recognition and sequencing, RATIONAL COUNTING, One-to-One correspondence, and exploring cardinal numbers.
Holding a pom pom with a peg adds an additional twist to mastering fine motor control. However, feel free to skip the peg and offer to stamp with a pom pom using thumb, index, and middle finger, while modeling a proper pincer grip. For even smaller ones, (2 YR+), offer to finger paint! Dotting a circle is an amazing fine-motor exercise!
You can also purchase the COUND-AND-CLIP CARDS separately below!
TIPS AND HACKS TO USE St Patrick’s Montessori Counting Cards
- To laminate, you can use an IRON instead of a laminating machine. (I am using these thermal laminating pouches.) HOW: set your iron at a low temperature, as if you would iron silk. To be safe, place cardstock OVER the laminating sheet and iron over it. (See HERE how I used an IRON to make a flower bookmark.)
- Alternatively, with a DOT-A-CLOVER page, you can use sheet protectors and insert your page into it and use a dry-erase marker.
- Corners can be pointy, so I love using a corner rounder.
- For a quicker and more precise straight cutting, I am using a paper trimmer instead of scissors.
- Buy rainbow dot markers HERE Or buy similar on Amazon HERE.
ROTE VERSUS RATIONAL COUNTING
According to Common Core Math standards, kindergarteners are expected to know cardinality, quantitive analysis, RATIONAL Counting, one-to-one correspondence, count to 100, and much more! Can they learn ALL THAT while they are kindergarteners? No way!
The SOLUTION is to START WHILE THEY ARE PRESCHOOLERS!! And START TEACHING RATIONAL counting EARLY ON! Rational counting is a learned ability to match an object to a corresponding numeral and recognize that numbers are merely symbols to represent a quantity! Young children often learn “ROTE counting” without having an understanding of one-to-one correspondence! Little ones might learn to count till ten just like a heart-learned poem! But if you were to ask them numerals out of numerical order, they might be confused. To lean RATIONAL counting, have them TOUCH and COUNT ALOUD each OBJECT as they match quantity to its corresponding numeral.
Have you used St. Patrick’s Montessori Counting Cards? Leave a comment if you did!
FREE 10 PAGES OF ☘️HANDS-ON STRIP PUZZLE
If you purchased 46-PAGE St. Patrick’s PACK ONLY PAGES 4, 5, 8, and 11 ARE NEW ~ so PRINT ONLY THOSE.
RECENT BLOG POSTS
Conscious Parenting embraces that children are not vessels to be molded but are sovereign spirits with untapped potentials to be unfolded.
Home-made dyed rainbow rice is an amazing tool to refine tactile and visual skills during sensory play for preschoolers and kindergartners.
Easy to set up Frog LifeCycle Sensory Bin with dyed chickpeas and felt for preschoolers and kindergartners to explore through play and learn about amphibians from tadpole to the adult frog.
eBOOK | THE BASICS Bringing Montessori Home
“Our work is not to teach, but to HELP the absorbent mind in its work of development. How marvelous it would be if by our help, if by an intelligent treatment of the child, if by understanding the needs of his physical life and by feeding his intellect, we could prolong the period of functioning of the absorbent mind!”
Montessori MADE EASY MEMBERSHIP
Also, in case you are exhausted from swimming in the vast ocean of irrelevant information and saving activities you never get to! JOIN Montessori MADE-EASY membership! And if you do, the eBook THE BASICS is included in the membership amongst MANY other perks!
I am here to help! WE CAN DO THIS TOGETHER!