Sight Words Christmas Tree
Sight Words Christmas Tree decorating activity is carefully designed for preschoolers, kindergartners and lower elementary children to promote literacy and reinforce reading/spelling of high-frequency words through fun hands-on invitations to learn and play.
Make sight words learning fun with this Christmas Tree decorating activity!
With this SIGHT WORDS CHRISTMAS TREE Activity Pack, you will receive:
- an instant 11-page PDF download AND
- an instant 5-page Sight-Words-5-LEVELS-MFTH download (words arranged in a table format)
*THIS IS A DIGITAL PRODUCT*
Having been sharing our hands-on invitations to learn and play on Instagram, I now offer a digital resource you can CLICK | PRINT | GO to save you time from endless research or preparations. My printables are designed to promote ACTIVE HANDS-ON play-based learning, making homeschooling fun, educational, and open-ended. *If you laminate prior to use, you can use these resources over and over again! AND along with the digital download, you also get to see ACTIVITIES IN ACTION! So, you get a resource + ways to play at your fingertips!
WHAT ARE SIGHT WORDS?
If you have a preschooler you might often hear the term “sight words.” Those are words that appear most frequently in the reading text. Also referred to as Dolch Words, sight words are lists of specifically chosen high-frequency words. And, sight words are clues that hold the connected text together (sentences), giving reading its meaning. In fact, if a child is to decode each word s/he comes across, reading will be too strenuous. In addition, some words in the English language simply cannot be phonetically decoded, and many of these sight words defy standard phonetic conventions, meaning that they are practically impossible to sound out. As such, a child must learn these words by SIGHT rather than by sounding out, blending, or segmenting. Thus, frequent practice through fun hands-on invitations to learn and play will make sight words learning desirable rather than dreadful!
Did you know that SIGHT WORDS account for 50 to 75 percent of the words that appear in print? So, it is important for children to learn the correct spelling and to recognize the words instantly by SIGHT in order to achieve reading fluency! This allows a child to concentrate on reading comprehension without having to stop and decode each word. Sight Words HANDS-ON activities are a fun way to reinforce the reading/spelling of high-frequency words. These activities also promote fine-motor control and hand-eye coordination, not to mention all the sensorial fun your little will be having!
FUN FACT according to Fry’s research:
• 12 sight words make up 25% of words your little one would encounter while reading
• 25 sight words make up approximately one-third of all published text
• 100 sight words make up 50% of the words we read and write
• 300 words make up approximately 65 percent of all written material
INSIDE SIGHT WORDS CHRISTMAS TREE Activity Pack:
PAGE 2: WHAT ARE SIGHT WORDS?
PAGE 3: INSTRUCTIONS: how to determine which level your child should use
PAGE 4-5: (2) pine tree templates that fit 24 SIGHT WORDS ORNAMENTS, which account for a single level.
PAGE 6-10: 5-LEVEL COLOR-CODED ORNAMENTS: Each SIGHT WORD level is color-coded ORNAMENT and arranged in increasing order of difficulty from 1-5. Print and cut out the ornaments and invite your child to SAY the WORD ALOUD as s/he decorates the Christmas Tree. All the words were carefully selected from Dolch Words, Fry Sight words, and Montessori high-frequency words.
- Level 1 are BLUE SIGHT WORDS ORNAMENTS
- Level 2 are GREEN SIGHT WORDS ORNAMENTS
- Level 3 are RED SIGHT WORDS ORNAMENTS
- Level 4 are PURPLE SIGHT WORDS ORNAMENTS
- Level 5 are ORANGE SIGHT WORDS ORNAMENTS
PAGE 11: DISCLOSURES ~ COPYRIGHT ~ do NOT SHARE /SELL /RE-DISTRIBUTE
INSTRUCTIONS: Print on 8.5 x 11″ letter size paper. Follow the instructions on each page.
Optional, but suggested: laminate the page for durability and use dry erase markers for multiple use.
TIPS AND HACKS TO USE THE PRINTABLE
- You can use an iron instead of a laminating machine. (I am using these thermal laminating pouches). HOW: set your iron at low temperature, as if you would iron silk. To be safe, place a plain paper OVER the laminating sheet and iron over it. (See HERE how I did it making a flower bookmark.)
- Alternatively, you can use sheet protectors and insert your page into it, and then use a dry erase marker.
- For a quicker and more precise straight cutting, I am using a paper trimmer instead of scissors.
My materials are created with high-quality clip arts and are thoughtfully designed from the ♡ heart.
My printables are subject to copyright law and are for your PERSONAL use ONLY. You may NOT share, resell, or redistribute them in any form. You may NOT gift, email, share, link or feature this PDF on any website, blog, forum, etc. You MAY post a picture of this material in action on your social media channels, and/or blog/website, etc., however, please TAG @MontessoriFromTheHeart on Instagram and/or include a link to my blog www.MontessoriFromTheHeart.com
My materials are for educational purposes only, so please use common sense when implementing my lessons since I can not be held liable for anything that transpires should you follow any of my suggestions or tutorials. Always supervise your children while they are learning through play, especially with little ones as small items might be a choking hazard.
SEE OUR CHRISTMAS UNIT STUDY ON MY BLOG
All of the activities in © Montessori From The Heart ♡ store are to be supervised by an ADULT. As the caregiver of your child, you are the best person to assess the abilities of your child. Please take note and be aware of a child who is still mouthing items or is unsafe with small objects that could be placed in the nose, ears, or mouth. The owner of © Montessori From The Heart ♡ disclaims all liability for any damage, mishap, or injury that may occur from engaging in activities in this curriculum. It is the caregiver’s responsibility to monitor the child. Use these activities at your own discretion.
Terms & Conditions:
- This product is to be used ONLY by the original downloader.
- This product is licensed for SINGLE use and is intended for ONE-FAMILY household ONLY. You may use it with your own multiple children only ~ NO friends or classroom use, please.
- Redistributing, selling, editing, or posting this item or any part thereof is strictly forbidden without the written permission of the owner.
- You may make copies for your personal use but will need to purchase a school license for use in multiple classrooms or schools in different locations ~ please email me anya@MontessoriFromTheHeart.com.
- When blogging or posting about these printables, please give credit back to Montessori From the Heart by hyperlinking to my website and tagging me as @MontessoriFromTheHeart on Instagram, where you can also see the behind the scenes of Insta Stories where I share our daily homeschooling activities.
- You may NOT sell or host these files as your own.
- This product may not be distributed or displayed digitally for public view. Failure to comply is a copyright infringement and a violation of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA).
- We reserve the right to change this policy at any time.
- If you have any questions regarding this or other of my materials, please email me at anya@MontessoriFromTheHeart.com