Are you mesmerized by ️snowflakes? We are! And we could not resist learning more about these nature’s miracles especially since the snow was falling and Julia was home on a winter break.
Activities you can consider to learn about snowflakes hands-on:
- stamp snowflake design in play dough (we are using DIY wooden double-sided stamps from the Arctic Learning Kit) or use a snowflake cookie cutter (also a part of the Arctic Kit ~ shop here)
- make a paper snowflake craft (from this book)
- make a snowflake from pipe cleaners and pony beads
- make a snowflake from marshmallows and don’t forget the six branches
We had so much fun reading about the mystical hexagon shape water molecules take form, about the birth of a snowflake and its fleeting life …
Books we are reading:
- (left) The Secret Life of a Snowflake: An Up-Close Look at the Art and Science of Snowflakes
- (right) Nature Anatomy Julia Rothman
You can see this activity on Instagram here.
p.s. Always supervise your children while they are STEAM-ing through play, Xoxo
For more snowflake inspired activities, see here Learning About Snowflakes • Paper Craft.