NEW YEAR COUNTDOWN KIDS ACTIVITY
Hands-on New Year countdown kids activity pack for preschoolers and kindergartners to promote numeracy skills, fine motor control and logic.
A hands-on play-based New Year’s Eve countdown kids activity pack for preschoolers and kindergartners to promote numeracy skills, fine motor control, logic, spatial awareness, hands-on learning and more!
Let’s ring in the New Year with this fun hands-on activity pack that promotes experiential learning! So, just CLICK | PRINT | GO and keep little people happily engaged while the little hands are busy and minds active! This pack was carefully created with the focus on PRESCHOOLERS and KINDERGARTNERS to support early learning and development.
You will receive an instant 33 pages PLAY-BASED LEARNING Activity pack 35 MB download PDF.
*THIS IS A DIGITAL PRODUCT* NO PHYSICAL PRODUCT IS BEING SHIPPED
Having been sharing our hands-on invitations to learn and play on Instagram, I now offer digital resources that you can CLICK | PRINT | GO to save you time from endless research or preparations. My printables are designed to promote ACTIVE HANDS-ON play-based learning, making homeschooling fun, educational, and open-ended. *If you laminate prior to use, you can use these resources over and over again! AND along with the digital download, you also get to see ACTIVITIES IN ACTION! So, you get a resource + ways to play at your fingertips!
NEW YEAR COUNTDOWN PRINTABLE IN ACTION
INSIDE NEW YEAR COUNTDOWN KIDS ACTIVITY:
- PAGE 3 – 5: CUTOUTS | Numbered NYE ball cutouts | use them for pages 6 – 16 and 20-29.
- PAGE 6 – 16: NUMBER RECOGNITION & MATCHING | AGE 2 YR + ~ match a cutout numbered ball to the correct numbered ball on the countdown pole. Age 3 YR + count DOWN and notice how the ball “drops.”
- PAGE 17 – 18: NUMERACY [AGE 2 YR +] Included Common Core Standards and One-To-One Correspondence in a nutshell.
- PAGE 19: NUMBER TO QUANTITY MATCHING AGE 2.5 YR + ~ connect a number symbol to a corresponding quantity of objects, and practice connecting cardinality, numeral to quantity association and 1:1 correspondence.
- PAGE 20 – 29: 1:1 CORRESPONDENCE | AGE 3 YR + ~ invite a child to TOUCH and object on a page and count ALOUD and then match the cardinal number to the cutout from pages 3-5. Optional: laminate the page and then offer a child to also MARK each object as s/he counts up. Then wipe clean and use again.
- PAGE 30: FIND THE MISSING HALF | LOGIC [AGE 2 YR] Laminate the page so that you can use a dry erase marker and wipe it clean for multiple uses. Ask the child to connect the dots of the matching halves.
- PAGE 31 -32: PUZZLE | SPACIAL AWARENESS [AGE 2.5 YR+] ~ cut along the dotted lines and invite the child to assemble the cut-strips in order. Control of error is a picture and also the sequential numerical order: AGE 2.5 YR +: use 1-5 puzzle, AGE 3.5 YR +: use 1-10 puzzle
- PAGE 33: DISCLOSURES ~ COPYRIGHT ~ do NOT SHARE /SELL /RE-DISTRIBUTE
STAGE I NUMBER TO NUMBER MATCHING | 2 YR +
STAGE II QUANTITY TO NUMBER MATCHING | 3 YR +
Although according to Dr Montessori sensitive period for math is 4 – 6 years, that is when children are naturally inclined to transition from a concrete hands-on understanding of counting to a more 🤯ABSTRACT analytical thinking, you can start introducing CONCRETE MATHEMATICAL concepts at the age of 2! Start with bulky concrete materials like Numbers Rods or count fruits, toys, etc! At that age, children do NOT understand the symbolical relation of numbers to quantity but it is a good place to start! Children FIRST should be introduced to numerals as QUANTITY! So hold 2 bananas 🍌 and say 2. Place 3 big blocks on a table and say this is 3, etc.
Importantly, if math is not exercised during the sensitive window, the numerical part of the brain remains undeveloped, making the learning of mathematical concepts more difficult. So, it is very important to seize this math-favorable age-specific opportunity when your child absorbs it zealously and with much ease!!
So when counting down the ball drop, practice numeral to quantity association and 1:1 correspondence by having a child:
– check-off or circle each object with a dry erase marker
– dot it with a dot marker or
– place a pom pom on each object
With children age 3 YR + we want to start introducing CARDINALITY! And this is a fun and effective way to do it.
NYC BALL NEW YEAR COUNTDOWN
TIPS AND HACKS TO USE THIS PRINTABLE
- You can use an iron instead of a laminating machine. (I am using these thermal laminating pouches). HOW: set your iron at low temperature, as if you would iron silk. To be safe, place a plain paper OVER the laminating sheet and iron over it. (See HERE how I did it making a flower bookmark.)
- Alternatively, you can use sheet protectors and insert your pages into it, and then use a dry erase marker.
- For a quicker and more precise straight cutting, I am using a paper trimmer instead of scissors.
PRINT on 8.5 x 11″ letter size paper. *Make sure to check off “fit to printable area.”
Follow the instructions on each page.
My materials are created with high-quality clip arts and are thoughtfully designed from the heart.
My printables are subject to copyright law and are for your PERSONAL use ONLY. You may NOT share, resell, or redistribute them in any form. You may NOT gift, email, share, link or feature this PDF on any website, blog, forum, listerserve., etc.. You MAY post a picture of this material in action on your social media channels, and/or blog/website, etc., however, please TAG @MontessoriFromTheHeart on Instagram and/or include a link to my blogwww.MontessoriFromTheHeart.com
♡ Enriching the Mind one Heart at a time ♡
My materials are for educational purposes only, so please use common sense when implementing my lessons since I can not be held liable for anything that transpires should you follow any of my suggestions or tutorials. Always supervise your children while they are learning through play, especially with little ones as small items might be a choking hazard.
HAVE A HAPPY AND HEALTHY NEW YEAR!
SEE MY BLOG FOR MORE ACTIVITIES